Conservation of our Native LandscapeIn 1995, the Village of Frankfort embarked on a program to acquire approximately 14 acres of property to preserve, protect and enhance the native prairie area. The establishment of Prairie Park promotes the conservation of a native Illinois landscape which is keeping with our area's history. The site serves as a testament to:
- protection and enhancement of an existing native tallgrass prairie;
- restoration and creation of additional native prairie area, wetlands, wet prairie and rocky stream;
- creation of wildlife habitat and a passive recreational area;
- application of sound resource management techniques and best management practices for storm water treatment; and
- promotion of environmental education.